Monday, March 4, 2013

Tomie on the other side of the brush































6x6"   oil on paper   study of Tomie dePaola   spring 2012

I first met Tomie about 15 years ago in Provincetown at the William Scott Gallery. He was buying one of my paintings  (it was a portrait of Sigrid Undset, a norwegian author we both admired).  Tomie is best known for his books for children. (he's written about 250 books including Strega Nona, 26 Fairmont ave, The Art lesson.... and the list goes on and on)  We struck up a friendship that day and have been in touch with each other ever since.  Sometimes a year or two will go by before we see or hear from each other but he is always there. About a year ago I drove up to NH to his house and painted this little portrait. 
Last week Tomie skyped with my son's 1st grade class, it was SO FUN!  He is a good guy, and 
I hope this painting catches the goodness in him. 
Thank you Tomie!




No comments:

Post a Comment